A Pirate’s Guide to First Grade
By James Preller, Illustrated by Greg Ruth
Win an Copy Inscribed by Illustrator Greg Ruth
Local Hilltown artist Greg Ruth has released a new children’s book titled Pirate’s Guide to First Grade - and Hilltown Families has an inscribed copy to giveaway to two lucky families. Deadline to enter to win is Monday, September 27th 2010. Details below.
ABOUT PIRATE’S GUIDE TO FIRST GRADE
Arr! It’s the first day of first grade, and it’s all hands on deck for a young pirate and his crew. How much trouble can they get into? What will they do at recess? And, most important, what treasure awaits them at school?
Written by James Preller, and illustrated by Greg Ruth, Pirate’s Guide to First Grade is a story of the first day of school. “This rambunctious first day tale is fit for any young buccaneer… Preller’s buoyant pirate-inflected storytelling and Ruth’s illustrations, which have a decidedly vintage flair, form an exuberant tribute to imagination and a spirit of adventure,” writes Publishers Weekly.
The Wall Street Journal recent review writes, “Greg Ruth’s retro illustrations for James Preller’s story adhere in a satisfying way to piratical convention—his buccaneers have flowing beards, eye patches and gnarly expressions—but he adds witty modern-day touches, too, like the vaporous juice box in one man’s hand.”
ABOUT GREG RUTH
Greg Ruth lives and works in Western Massachusetts with his wife and fellow artist, Jen Smith, and their two boys, Emmett and Nathaniel. He has been known to craft graphic novels, children’s picture books, music videos and illustrated novels and currently does not own a parrot. Yet. You can find out more by visiting his website: www.gregthings.com
SEPTEMBER 19TH: NATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY
Meet the Illustrator
- Elmer’s Store in Ashfield, MA be celebratin’ National Talk Like a Pirate Day on Sunday, September 19th with a special book signin’ and readin’ by t’ artist, Greg Ruth o’ A Pirate’s Guide to First Grade, written by James Preller from 10am till 1pm. Come by for good food, pirate goodies and a signed copy o’ t’ book. There be only a few copies port o’ t’ first edition, so make aye t’ come early! Orders will be taken for signed, personalized books as well. – This event be rated “Arrrrrrr!”
- Later that day, Greg will also sit down for a signin’ at T’ Old Creamery in Cummington, MA as part o’ their tenth anniversary celebration at 3pm. Copies o’ his first sprogs’s book, Our Enduring Spirit, written by President Barack Obama will be available.
HOW TO WIN
Your chance t’ win an inscribed copy o’ Pirate’s Guide to First Grade by local illustrator Greg Ruth be as easy as 1-2-3 (4)! T’ win simply:
- POST A COMMENT BELOW IN YOUR BEST “PIRATESE” (one entry per family) and be sure to tell us your
- FULL NAME (first/last) and where you
- LIVE (TOWN/STATE) must include your town to be eligible.
- ACCURATE EMAIL (we never share your email address).
- We’ll randomly draw two winners and will share the results below.
IT’S THAT SIMPLE! — Deadline is Monday, 09/27/10 @ 7pm (EST).
STREET TEAM: HELP US SPREAD THE WORD AND EARN AN EXTRA ENTRY
In addition to posting a comment below as outlined above, be part of the Hilltown Families Street Team and participate in any of the following, earning one extra entry in our random drawing:
- Share this post with your Facebook pals (Add “Hilltown Families” to your post).
- Tweet about this contest on Twitter (Add @hilltwnfamilies to your tweet)
- Share this giveaway on your own blog (email the URL to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Email five or more friends and tell them about this giveaway (CC your email to email@example.com)
Once you have done any of these suggestions, we will add a thank you comment below with your name/town, adding another entry for you. If you participate as our Street Team and do not see a mention below, email us details before the deadline to let us know. Deadline is Monday, 09/27/10 @ 7pm (EST). A maximum of one extra entry per household may be added.