Question and Answer
Wanted: Sledding hill for the preK kids that isn’t too steep nor too many big kids. Check out or reader recommendations below, and share your own recommendation here.
- Kara Kitchen recommends: Look Park (Florence, MA)
- Jara Malikin recommends: We love JFK (Northampton, MA) and in fact, just came from there. There is enough room for everyone to spread out and it’s clear at the bottom of the hill (i.e,. no trees to dodge).
- Erika recommends: The hill behind Mary Dryden Memorial Elementary school (Springfield) is great. fun enough for little or big kids. Very few people there when we have gone, even on the weekends. Also, across the street, there is a great hill behind Cathedral High School.
- Cultural Pittsfield recommends: Clapp Park in Pittsfield is terrific!
- Robin Sidel recommends: GCC (Greenfield Community College).
- Sienna Wildfield recommends: The Worthington Golf Course and the Bryant Homestead in Cummington, MA.
- Jeanne Barron recommends: Clarke Schools for the Deaf (Northampton, MA)- a little steep but a really long run at the end so lots of room to go… (not crowded but don’t tell too many people!)
- Faith Ann recommends: Beacon Field, Greenfield
- Michael Chabler recommends: For my son, I just took one of those small, round sleds and tied a rope through its handle. Then I pulled him on a flat, snow-covered surface. He had a blast.
- Kristen Handschuh recommends: Behind the middle school in Amherst. Located on Chestnut St.
- Bob Clancy recommends: The hill behind the Rowe Elementary School is a blast! Young and old will enjoy it. Park in the parking lot after school or on weekends.
- Christa Figueroa recommends: HCC (Holyoke Community College) is great for all ages. Depending on where you decide to start from you can have a very small slide down or a very steep slide. Our family really likes it.
- Susan Wessels recommends: Chester Elementary has a great hill for anyone up in the hilltowns.
- Amanda Saklad recommends: We just got home from the great hill behind Stop and Shop in Belchertown – GREAT hill. lots of families. Yesterday was the hill at Crocker Farm in Amherst (Rte 116) – easy parking at the school.
- April Albrecht recommends: There’s a great hill behind Stop n Shop off of Route 9 in Belchertown! Just turn onto George Hannum Rd and go straight. Vere right after you go under the little bridge and you’ll see the hill on your right!
- Jim McSweeney recommends: Try the hill behind the school near the brewery in Williamsburg.
- Mandy Gerry recommends: Hospital Hill in Northampton! Beautiful view from the top, too!
- Kristen recommends: Behind the middle school in Amherst on Chestnut St. Plus, there is within walking distance two more hills in fields of middle school and wild wood elementary school.
Have a favorite sledding hill in Western MA you’d like to share. Post it in the comment field for other families to discover too.