Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event Gives Back!
This past Saturday, May 4th, was the second Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event, a one of a kind event for families to volunteer together at seven different community service stations in a single morning!
From teens to tots to grandparents, together families were able to generate 450 hours of community service at this intergenerational event for different non-profit and community organizations in our region that work on behalf of animal welfare, conservation and food security. Held at Leeds Elementary School in Northampton, MA, families traveled from station to station with Passport in hand, participating in facilitated hands-on projects:
Thank you to all of the families, volunteers and facilitators who joined us! The event was a great success with 150 folks participating in a fun morning of community service. And thank you to WGGB ABC 40 for coming out and covering the event for the 6 o’clock news!
Together we were able to:
- Make 46 bluebird house to donate to Franklin Land Trust!
- Braid 50 fleece chews to donate to Kane’s Krusade to be distributed in their C.A.R.E. (Canine Assistance, Resources and Education) Kits!
- Fill a couple bags full of handmade catnip toys for cats waiting for adoption at the Dakin Humane Society!
- Upcycle & take 50 old tshirts into Giving Bags to collect nonperishable food to donate to local food pantries!
- Make & take egg cartons full of seed bombs for promoting conservation!
- Plant & take 50 seedlings and seeds while promoting the idea of sowing an extra row of food in family gardens to grow and harvest for local food pantries.
- Write letters to legislators on issues of animal welfare, conservation and food security.
We look forward to hosting another Family Community Service Event, but we can’t do it without your help! Want to join our Community Service Committee? We want to hear from you:
Please be sure to hit “submit” and we’ll be in contact with you about volunteering with us for our next event.
Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event was co-sponsored by Northampton Public Schools/CFCE through a grant from the MA Department of Early Education and Care. Big thank you to our three premier event sponsors, Alternative Recycling Systems, Hilltown Tree & Garden and Northampton Family & Cosmetic Dentistry!
Thank you to all of the businesses who have made donations to the Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event, including: Collective Copies; Easthampton Savings Bank; Give a Hoot Pets; Greenfield Savings Bank; High Mowing Organic Seeds; Hilltown Tree & Garden; Knack; Plant Euphoria; Pelican Products in Greenfield; Lowe’s in Hadley; Sangha Farm; Seeds of Change; Staples in Northampton; Yankee Home Improvement; Whole Foods Market in Hadley
Please let these businesses know that you appreciate their support of this event, making it possible for families to spend time volunteering together for their community! We could not do this without their support, nor the support of our organizers, volunteers, and facilitators, including Sarah Towers, Tanzi Cannon-Eckerle, Barbara Black, Jess Kuttner, Robin Morgan-Huntley, Katelyn Tsukada, Northampton High School Woodworking Club, Northampton High School Key Club, Grow Food Northampton, Help Yourself and Green River Woodcraft.