HILLTOWN FAMILY VARIETY SHOW
WXOJ LP – 103.3 FM – Valley Free Radio
August 28th, 2007 @ 7pm
Schoolhouse Rock Episode
- “Schoolhouse Rocky” [Best of Schoolhouse Rock]
- Imagination Movers – “First Day of School” [Calling All Movers]
- Astrograss – “the Homework Machine” [Astrograss For Kids]
- Vince Guaraldi Trio – “Charles’s Blues” [Charlie Brown’s Holiday Hits]
- ScribbleMonster & His Pals – “Everybody Learn to Count” [Best of Friends]
- Richard Perlmutter – “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” [Beethoven’s Wig 3]
- Bob Dorough – “Three is a Magic Number” [Best of Schoolhouse Rock]
- Baze and His Silly Friends – “Count Your ABC’s” [One Little Smile]
- The Rhodes Tavern Troubadours (RTT) – “Learning My Letters” [Turn it Up Mommy!]
- Jack Sheldon – “Conjunction Junction” [Best of Schoolhouse Rock]
- Imagination Movers – “Super Hidden Mystery Track” [Imagination Movers]
- Ben Rudnick & Friends – “Vowels” [Grace’s Bell]
- Ann Torralba – Pease Porridge Hot” [Wiggleworms Love You]
Remember Schoolhouse Rock shorts from when we were kids? They aired in between Saturday morning cartoons, which I loved watching and remember them fondly. Persephone loves them too. We have the entire collection on video. If you’re not opposed to using cartoons to help educate you kids, you might find them to be a great tool to use for adding another dimension to your child’s education on language, math, government, economics and science.
One of my favorite Schoolhouse Rock videos is “Three is a Magic Number.” On this week’s show Persephone shares that she thinks 7 and 10 are magic numbers… and you know what … I think she’s right! Click here to listen.
CONSPIRACY THEORY ROCK
Parents that are appalled by the fact that a few corporations control our media… you might appreciate Conspiracy Theory Rock, “Media-opoly,” a SNL spoof of Schoolhouse Rock, by Robert Smigel:
It aired once on SNL but was never seen again on any future broadcasts following it’s 1998 premiere. I guess the big boys and girls of NBC didn’t find Smigel’s satirical video worth sharing with their classmates, or worth getting in trouble over with their principal, General Electric (their parent company).
NAME-THAT-TUNE CONTEST WINNER
Congratulations to Gwyneth over at Gooney Bird Kids for winning a copy of Rebecca Frezza‘s CD, Road Trip offered on our Farmyard Jungle Episode. She correctly identified the lyric, “We can not use little monkeys who don’t do as they are told” from the song “Monkeyshines,” from the album Broken Record by Twink.
THIS WEEK’S CAPTION CONTEST
This week’s caption contest was inspired by the folks over at Milkshake (who confess they were inspired by the New Yorker Magazine). Post a short caption in the comment box below to go along with this week’s photo and win a reviewed copy of the School House Rock! video, Science Rock, donated by Grendel Books. The funnier the better. Winner will be selected and announced on the October 2nd episode of HFVS.
PAST EPISODES OF HFVS [Click episode title to listen now]
Hippie Harvest Episode [08/21/07] Summer Vacation Episode [08/07/07 & 08/14/07] Uncle Rock Guest DJ Episode [07/31/04] Farmyard Jungle Episode [07/24/07] Toys in the Attic Episode [07/17/07] Butterflies in the Park Episode [07/10/07] Birthday Bash Episode [07/03/07] Summer Bike Riding Episode [06/27/07] Click here for more
HEAR HERE:The Hilltown Family Variety Show can be heard on-air every Tuesday from 7-7:30pm on WXOJ LP, 103.3 FM, Valley Free Radio, out of Northampton, MA.
SUBMIT AUDIO, VIDEO & LITERATURE: Mail a press kit & media to be reviewed to HFVS, P.O. Box 98, West Chesterfield, MA 01084.