Youth Invited to Participate in Hancock Shaker Village’s Annual Pie Contest
Deliver to Village on Sept 28th.
Hancock Shaker Village’s annual Country Fair takes place on September 29th and 30th! The festival celebrates the fall harvest and all of the many food-related activities and traditions that the season brings. Especially exciting is the festival’s annual pie contest, which features an amateur division for young baker-extraordinaires! Entries in the contest must be baked at home from scratch, and delivered to the village between 3-5pm on Friday, September 28th. Bakers may use the crust recipe of their choice, and can choose their own filling or use one of the provided recipes from The Best of Shaker Cooking. By participating in the contest, kids can learn shaker history, practice chemistry and math skills in the kitchen, and begin to develop culinary independence and creativity! For more information on the fair, visit www.hancockshakervillage.org or call 413-443-0188.
Looking for pie baking books to inspire you or the youth baker in your home? Here are some suggestions you might find at your local library:
- The Shaker Cookbook: Recipes and Lore From the Valley of God’s Pleasure
- Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
- A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies
- The Lost Art of Pie Making Made Easy
- Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, and More
- Fresh Fruit Pies, Tarts, and Galettes: Every Recipe has a Gluten Free Alternative
- Shaker Your Plate: Of Shaker Cooks and Cooking
- The Best of Shaker Cooking
[Photo credit: (ccl) Julie Falk]