QUESTION AND ANSWERS
Patricia Valenti writes, “What are some good activities in the area for grandparents to do with their grandkids, or are there any local grandparents groups? I watch my daughter’s son a couple of times a week and want to get out with him more!”
- Carrie Gabinelle Duda recommends, “Tons of playgroups around. I’ve seen plenty of grandparents there.”
- Zoe Wright Johnson recommends, “The Northampton Parents Center seems particularly grandparent friendly!”
- Abbe Laine Schiowitz recommends, “The Amherst Family Center is grandparent friendly as well.”
- Community Network for Children recommends, “We have playgroups and story hours that grandparents attend as well.”
- Amy Vlastos Benoit recommends, “The Belchertown Family Center too!”
- Kara Kitchen recommends, “The Dalton CRA sees many kids with their grandparents at Kindergym (includes play, craft, snack+swim time!) on Mon. & Wed. mornings, swim lessons (grand/parent/toddler class is free!), at their many sports leagues games, as well as their many free community events (like concerts, movies, holiday events).”
- Berkshire Athenaeum recommends, “Have you considered a visit to one of our many local museums? We have museum passes for free/reduced general admission.”
- Sandy Courtney recommends, “The Palmer/Monson Family Network runs a Drop-In Playgroup Tues-Fri mornings. Check out the Friends of the Palmer/Monson Family Network Facebook page for updates! – Most libraries have story hours for children as well – Monson Free Library has Weds mornings @ 10:30 and Baby Story Time on Friday mornings @ 10:30.”
- Jean Engel recommends, “The childrens department at the Lee Library is always safe and welcoming. There are many weekly activities there.”
- Linda Bennett-Mason recommends, “Yes the library in Westfield is good too.”
- Mandy Gerryrecommends, “Come to the Northampton Parents Center, in downtown Northampton, lower level of Edwards Church. Open 9:30-11:30 M-Th, drop in playgroup for birth to 5 and their caregivers.”
- Sharon Hawkes recommends, “The librarian from Lenox is thrilled to see all these nice comments about libraries (And yes, the Lenox Library also have storytimes and special events about once a month that are great for bonding with grandkids)!”
- Carrie St John recommends, “Monday story time at Forbes Library (Northampton). There is also a play area and craft/puzzle area.
- Donna Todd Rivers recommends, “If they are interested in starting their handcrafted holiday gifts…a mug for Dad with their handprints on it, a beaded necklace for Mom that they made themselves…at Bisque, Beads & Beyond (Pittsfield)!
For a list of playgroups and story hours that happen each week, be sure to check our List of Weekly Suggested Events for a comprehensive list!