Park Clean Ups & Community Service Activities for Families this Spring in Western MA
As spring warms the landscape across western Massachusetts, opportunities for outdoor adventures increase exponentially. What would have been a snowshoe trek and bark inspection a month ago has become a woods hike where families can identify plants, trees, and wildlife of all shapes and sizes.
However, as the ground awakes from its snow-covered slumber, trails and parks are in need of some restoration and there are plenty of opportunities for families to volunteer together, including during DCR’s Massachusetts Park Serve Day on Saturday, April 20th, Mass Audubon’s 7th Annual Statewide Volunteer Day on April 27th, and stocking the Connecticut River Watershed with Salmon Fry throughout the spring.
All of these volunteer opportunities, and many other community service work days, aim to bring together community members for a day of reconnecting with nature and cooperative work while providing service based learning experiences! Community service is a great way to show your appreciation for local resources as a family, and participating in volunteer work can help kids develop a strong commitment to their community and their surroundings. Kids can use volunteer work to learn useful skills for everything from hands-on tasks (like trail maintenance) to social skills (such as working in intergenerational settings).
20 Community Service Opportunities in Western MA this Spring
- Wednesday, April 10th from 5:30-7pm: Families with older children and train with the Housatonic Valley Association to be part of their Stream Team Project volunteer crew. Walk or paddle a stretch of the river and report your findings. Interest meeting at the Dewey Memorial Building. 413-394-9796. Sheffield, MA
- Saturday, April 13th from 9am-12noon: Look Park is open for the season, but the grounds need some attention! There are leaves & down branches galore from the October blizzard that need to be cleaned up. Bring your family and come to the park ready to work (BYO rake and gloves). Your help ensures that the park remains a valued community resource! 413-727-8457. 300 North Main Street. Florence, MA.
- Sunday, April 14th from 1-4pm: Looking for a way to give back to your community by volunteering with your family? How about a spring clean-up? Greenfield Energy Park’s opening performance will be its annual spring clean-up. Greenthumbers invites families with children of all ages to come and join the fun. Some tools will be provided, but please bring your favorite clippers, rake, shovel, tarp or bucket. 413-774-5667. Energy Park. Greenfield, MA
- Wednesday, April 17th from 5-6:45pm: Families with older children can train with the Housatonic Valley Association to be part of their Stream Team Project volunteer crew. Walk or paddle a stretch of the river and report your findings. Interest meeting at the Mason Library. 413-394-9796. Great Barrington, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 8am-1pm Earth Day Cleanup! Meet at the Masonic Lodge and volunteer for the morning cleaning up the environment. Families welcomed. Bring waterproof boots, work gloves, and a desire to help clean the environment! Meet at the Masonic Lodge. 413-572-6281. 72 Broad Street. Westfield, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9-11am: Clean up Whately for Earth Day! Bring the kids and pick up roadside litter debris. Meet outside of the Town Hall (rain date: 4/21). Whately, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9am-12noon: Families with children ages 10 and older are invited to the annual Meadows Spring clean-up at Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary. Working out in the field, wear work clothes and bring gloves & water. Pre-register. 413-584-3009. 127 Combs Road. Easthampton, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9am-1pm: Clean up the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail! Families with children ages 8yo and older can assist with cleaning up the trail and landscaping. Call for exact location: 413-499-7003. Cheshire, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9am-1pm: Chicopee State Park clean up! Families with children ages 8yo and older can help plant flowers, spread mulch, stain picnic talbes and do general trail maintenance. Meet at the DCR Park Headquarters. 413-594-9416. 570 Burnett Rd. Chicopee, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9am-1pm: Lend a hand to The Trustees of Reservations sprucing up Peaked Mountain. Bring work gloves, water & snack. Call to pre-register. : 413-532-1631 x21. Butler Road. Monson, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9am-2pm: Join the patrons of the Ramsdell Library for a day of cleaning up along the banks of the Housatonic River. Meet at the library for an assigned route to clean-up. Pizza at the Brick House at noon for all volunteers. Screening of “Fold, Crumple, Crush” in the library theater at 2pm. 413-274-3738. 1087 Main Street. Great Barrington, MA
- Saturday, April 20th from 9:30am-1pm: Families with older children can help clean up DAR State Forest. Help prepare for the upcoming camping season by raking campsites & day use picnic areas. Meet at the campground pavilion. 413-268-7098. Route 112. Goshen, MA
- Wednesday, April 24th from 5:30-7pm: Families with older children and train with the Housatonic Valley Association to be part of their Stream Team Project volunteer crew. Walk or paddle a stretch of the river and report your findings. Interest meeting at the Dalton Town Hall. 413-394-9796. Dalton, MA
- Saturday, April 27th from 8am-1pm: Join the Springfield Science Museum’s volunteer team to help remove trash from Springfield’s parks and public spaces during their Earth Day Clean-up. Family volunteers will meet at Duggan Middle School, bringing bags, buckets and gloves. For info or to sign up call 413-263-6800 x404. 1015 Wilbraham Road. Springfield, MA
- Saturday, April 27th from 9am-1pm: Families can help the Housatonic Valley Association clean up the Old Mill Trail trailhead during their spring work party. Help get the trail ready for a new hiking season by picking up trash and debris, replacing lost markers and removing invasive plant species. 413-394-9796. Old Dalton Road (opposite the Hinsdale Trading Co.) Hinsdale, MA
- Saturday, April 27th from 9:30am-1pm: Volunteer with your teens with Mass Audubon at Laughing Brook Sanctuary. Volunteer opportunities include: Land Stewardship; Ecological Management and Habitat Improvement; Trail Improvement. 413-584-3009. Hampden, MA
- Saturday, April 27th from 9am-12noon: Volunteer with your teens with Mass Audubon at Graves Farm. Volunteer opportunities include: Land Stewardship; Ecological Management and Habitat Improvement; Trail Improvement. 413-584-3009. Williamsburg, MA
- Saturday, April 27th from 9am-12noon: Volunteer with your family (ages 10yo & older) for Mass Audubon at Canoe Meadows. Tasks include Community Gardens Setup; Garden Site Improvements; Turtle Garden. 413-637-0320. Pittsfield, MA
- Sunday, April 28th from 9-11am: Bring the kids and spend a Sunday morning volunteering together at a Rail Trail Clean Up Day (King St to Pleasant St). If you’re interested in helping out, email John Power at email@example.com. Northampton, MA
- Saturday, May 4th from 9am-1pm: Hilltown Families’ Family Community Service Event. Must preregister as space is limited. Northampton, MA