Hilltown Families on Mass Appeal: June Segment
Habitat to Support Community-Based Education
Hilltown Families and Mass Appeal (a weekday, hour-long lifestyle program on NBC) have teamed up to offer a live monthly segment on WWLP 22News! Each month, Hilltown Families’ Founder & Executive Director, Sienna Wildfield, joins Mass Appeal host, Ashley Kohl, to talk about ways to engage in your community while supporting the interests and education of your children (and yourselves!).
This monthly segment continued on Thursday, June 25, 2015, this month looking at community-based education through the lens of habitat. Sienna and Ashley talk about community-based events and resources that support an integrative approach to nature-based learning:
Summer months are a great time of year to get outside with your kids and allow nature to become their classroom. During the warmer months, look through the lens of your local habitat to find ways for your families to engage in your community while supporting interests and education. What you will find are opportunities and resources that integrate learning cross a variety of interests, including:
- River ecology to support interests in insects.
- Wetlands to support learning about the food chain.
- Bogs for discovering unique native plants.
Points of entry to community engagement that not only support interest and education, but also support the values of many families include:
- Outdoor adventures supporting intergenerational engagement while learning about the river.
- Citizen scientist opportunities to engage families in the scientific process while learning about river ecology.
- Family volunteering that support service-based learning while keeping our rivers clean and protected.
Mass Appeal is a live weekday program that airs at 11am on 22News (Springfield, MA). Our next visit to the Mass Appeal studios will be Thursday, July 25!