Western MA Summer Lawn Concert Series Begin for 2016
Placemaking is a practice and a philosophy. It is an approach to both the creation and use of public spaces, aiming to promote the health and well-being of individuals and communities. Events which support placemaking, such as parades, festivals, outdoor film screenings, and lawn concerts, draw people together and strengthen a connection to neighbors via community spaces.
Some outdoor music series are already underway in parts of western Massachusetts, while others are just around the corner. Concerts on town commons and other outdoor, public areas encourage people to share the space, enjoy family dinner alfresco, and take in live music. These are family-friendly, intergenerational events as well as opportunities to meet and support local musicians. Find one near you, BYO family dinner & blanket, and get ready to take in the sweetness of a summer evening as live music lofts through the air.
- In Greenfield, the Sundays in the Park concert series kicks off on June 26th with young and talented singer-songwriter Hayley Reardon. Concerts begin at 6pm in Energy Park. 413-772-1553. 50 Miles Street. (DONATION)
- In Westfield, local bands perform at the Beveridge Pavilion Annex from 6pm-8pm in Stanley Park. 413-568-9312. 400 Western Avenue. (FREE)
- In East Longmeadow the Wednesday Summer Concert Series begins on June 29th at the East Longmeadow High School’s Athletic Field. For more information, call 413-525-3188. 180 Maple Street. (FREE)
- In Hadley, Wednesday Folk Traditions at the Porter-Phelps-Huntington Museum,will take place every week from June 8th through July 20th. Picnickers are welcome on the museum grounds at 5:00 pm. Music begins at 6:30 413-584-4699. 130 River Drive, ($, 16 and under <$)
- In Holyoke, Free Positively Holyoke Summer Concerts begin on July 20 from 6-8 p.m. Holyoke Heritage State Park. 413-534-1723. 221 Appleton Street.
- In North Adams, listen to music while you swim, fish, kayak, or canoe at Windsor Lake. Or, bring a picnic to enjoy on the shore while you enjoy music beginning at 6:30pm. Concessions will be available. 413-664-6180. Kemp Avenue and Bradley Street. (FREE)
- Pittsfield holds a Live on the Lake concert series on Wednesdays from 6pm-8pm in July and August. Lake Onata. (FREE)
- In South Hadley, a summer concert series specifically for families with children ten and younger will begin take place on July 13, 20 and 27 from 10 to 11 am. 413-538-5033. Buttery Brook Park. 123 Willimansett Street. (FREE)
- In Amherst, Thursday night concert series happens at Kendrick Park on July 14, 21, 28 & August 4th at 6:30pm. Rain Location: Pacific Lodge, 99 Main Street. (FREE)
- In Easthampton, Arts in the Park on Friday nights begins on June 10th. Millside Park. 413-529-1440. Ferry Street. (FREE)
- In Florence, the Florence Music on the Porch Series continues at the Florence Civic Center from 6:30-8pm, beginning June 23 and running through September 1. Rain location: Florence VFW. 90 Park Street. (FREE)
- In Greenfield, Greenfield’s Co Op Concerts take place from 6pm-8pm in Energy Park. 50 Miles Street. (FREE)
- In South Hadley, concerts on the common take place in the gazebo at 6:30pm every Thursday beginning June 30th. Rain date shows will take place the Sunday immediately after a cancelled concert. Intersection of Routes 47 and 116. (FREE)
- In Williamsburg, the Angel Park Summer Music Series continues 6pm at with Thursday night line-ups starting July 7 and running through August 25. 23 E. Main Street.
Amherst: The Amherst Business District is happy to announce the Amherst Community Band, led by Timothy Anderson (Director of the UMass Minuteman Marching Band) will be performing in its Downtown Beats Summer Concert series. The Free Concerts will be held in Sweetser Park (with the historic fountain) on Friday, July 15, and Friday August 19 from 6:30-8pm. Rain location is the First Congregational Church. Enjoy the stirring sounds of a mini orchestra, complete with brass and string playing popular and classic tunes. Picnic in Sweetser with some famous downtown take out. Simple. Easy. Enjoy!
North Adams: The Levitt AMP North Adams Music Series will help re-launch the newly renovated Colegrove Park in conjunction with the reopening of the adjacent Colegrove Park Elementary School—using free, live music to help bring this forgotten community green space back to its former glory as an inclusive community gathering place. August 14 – October 16, 2016.