Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for
Seasons: November & December
Who am I? Where am I? These are the fundamental questions proposed by the humanities. Inquiries related to local history, literature, and education, inspire us to think deeply about the places where we live and how our identity fits into the context of our community and the seasons.
Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for Western Massachusetts is a bimonthly publication produced by Hilltown Families that sheds light on embedded learning opportunities found in cultural resources that exist within the geography, history, and cultural traditions of Western Massachusetts.
With these downloadable seasonal itineraries, self-directed teens, lifelong learners, and families are encouraged to engage together in cultural opportunities that support similar interests, resulting in a shared history, strengthening sense of place.
Looking through a seasonal lens, our Cultural Itinerary for Western Massachusetts for November and December includes:
- Learn about FOOD preservation: Harvest, Butchers & Museums
- Veterans Day as a CATALYST for learning: Literature, History & Music
- Looking through the LENS of Thanksgiving: Poetry & Painting
- VALUE based engagement: Handmade & Non-Commercial
- Local HABITAT connects us to myth & nature: Christmas Trees
- PLACEMAKING with annual events: Holiday Strolls & Caroling
- Experience other CULTURES through the holidays: Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa & Three Kings Day
- Mark the SEASON by sharing & connecting: Winter Solstice & Storytelling
- Engage in New England TRADITIONS: First Night & First Hikes