Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for
Seasons: January & February
Who am I? Where am I? These are the fundamental questions proposed by the humanities. Inquiries related to local history, literature, and education, inspire us to think deeply about the places where we live and how our identity fits into the context of our community and the seasons.
Learning Ahead: Cultural Itinerary for Western Massachusetts is a bimonthly publication produced by Hilltown Families that sheds light on embedded learning opportunities found in cultural resources that exist within the geography, history, and cultural traditions of Western Massachusetts.
With these downloadable seasonal itineraries, self-directed teens, lifelong learners, and families are encouraged to engage together in cultural opportunities that support similar interests, resulting in a shared history, strengthening sense of place.
- NATURE-BASED activities connect us to the land: Nordic skiing, alpine skiing, ice skating, & snowshoeing
- VALUE based engagement on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Service-Based Learning Events & Civic Engagement
- Learn about New England TRADITIONS: Ice Harvesting
- African American History Month as a CATALYST for learning: Poetry, History & Art
- Mark the SEASON by sharing & connecting: Winter Festivals & Placemaking
- INTERGENERATIONAL engagement for Valentine’s Day: Handmade, Non-Commercial & Creative-Free Play
- Looking through the LENS of Presidents’ Day: Freedom & Literacy
- Discover seasonal FOOD: Winter Farmers’ Markets
- Local HABITAT connects us to ourselves: Writing & Mindfulness